euro festival zupfmusik - 3rd - 6th June 2010
Getting Together in the Musikland Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
The >eurofestival zupfmusik< is the biggest festival of its kind.
It is a platform for the exchange of information on an internationals level.
The Federation of German Plucked String Musicians (BDZ) is the senior organisation worldwide dealing with all the various aspects of plucked string music. In this capacity and in cooperation with the European Guitar and Mandolin Association (EGMA) and the European Guitar Teacher Association (EGTA), it is holding its next large-scale music festival in the baroque town of Bruchsal from 3-6 June, 2010.
This huge music spectacle will attract and inspire plucked string musicians from all over the world. Neatly sandwiched in as part of the whole-year project of the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, “Musikland Baden-Wuerttemberg”, this Festival is the biggest of its kind anywhere in the world.
The Idea behind the Music Festival
This Festival regards itself as the major international showcase for plucked string music and aims to serve the national and international scene as a place for experts in every area to meet and exchange information and ideas.
Through the Festival the organisers enable participants to take stock of developments internationally, in both instrumental and artistic respects.
These developments are reflected in the endless variety of instrumental combinations, the interpretive richness and also the innovatively modern artistic trends and specialised musical literature.
The “eurofestival” aims to contribute in its own way to international cooperation and dialogue. One important aspect is the productive interaction between generations, and another is the encounter between young people from various countries, something for which there will be a special range of functions. The organisers expect fruitful impetus for the future to result from the interaction between amateur and professional musicians.
* performance of particular works which are seldom heard because of their instrumentation, musical language or difficulty
* Showcasing of outstanding performers or ensembles and the presentation of up-and-coming talent.
* Particular events like music in the baroque castle, a concert in the parish church during market hours or a children’s opera will be directed specifically at the Bruchsal concert public and help fill the air with music.
* A wide display of wares provides an unusual opportunity to examine, discuss, try out and buy printed music, recordings, accessories and instruments.
* This second exhibition will illuminate the tradition of plucked string music in Baden-Wuerttemberg in its historico-cultural context. Plucked string ensembles from the region will bring the typical sounds to life.
The following The function is centred around the logistically excellent Civic Centre. For a few days, the musical state of Baden-Wuerttemberg with its rich historical tradition will tell the history in sound of plucked string music. Further venues will be the baroque castle and the Parish Church.
The Town– The Municipality and Region of Bruchsal
Bruchsal is situated about 20 km north of Karlsruhe in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg and looks back on around 1,500 years of history. In the 18th century it was the residential seat of the prince-bishopric of Speyer, something which even today is apparent in many buildings. A noteworthy architect of the time – both for the baroque castle and for the parish church of St Peter – was Balthasar Neumann. The readily accessible infrastructure and excellent range of hotels and restaurants ought to arouse the curiosity of plucked string enthusiasts from around the world.
Please click here for further information on the town.
Participants and Visitors
An invitation to take part in the “eurofestival zupfmusik 2010” is extended to all plucked string orchestras, guitar or chamber music ensembles and mixed musical groups from Germany and abroad. A special invitation is extended to club, state youth and state BDZ orchestras, which would like to contribute something interesting in the context of the thematic concept, and so experience and enliven the Festival. A few organisational details might be relevant:
Conditions of participation for performers
1. In order to be involved in the “eurofestival zupfmusik 2010”, people should be prepared to take part for the whole duration of the event. This is the only way to ensure that it really is a “meeting place”.
2. Because of the large number of participants, for organisational reasons, each appearance must be limited to 20 minutes.
3. The costs of travel and accommodation must be met by the participants themselves.
4. The Federal Music Committee of the BDZ will make final decisions about participation.
Interested performers, ensembles and orchestras should apply in writing. Please include the following information:
* Name and address, including telephone numbers and email address
* In the case of groups: the number of members in the ensemble and the name of the ensemble leader
* Line-up of instruments
* Short CV
* Photograph in 300 dpi
* Programme suggestion (duration: 20 minutes)
* If possible an audio sample in the form of a CD or MC
* Press reviews and references
Applications including with the requested information should be sent by May 15, 2009 to:
D - 07407 Rudolstadt
The Federal Music Committee of the BDZ